Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Couple of Artists' Stories
So, today for my story behind the ink I have chosen to talk about two of the men that put the ink to these tattoo stories. These guys are Brian Brenner and John Lloyd of one of the most popular tattoo shops in the Dayton area, Truth & Triumph Tattoo. 





Brian, the owner of Truth & Triumph, began tattooing roughly 18 years ago. He has come a long way from doing tattoos at his kitchen table to now having three locations for Truth & Triumph. He has worked extremely hard to get his business where it is.

As if he were not busy enough with marketing the three shops and shooting/producing his own weekly web show, Brian still finds time to tattoo clients. His style of tattooing is full of movement and texture, and I would highly recommend that you check out his portfolio at
http://www.tattooedtv.com/brianbrenner.html.

He has also traveled the country to attend tattoo invitationals and conventions. And fairly recently, Brian even made a trip to Florence, Italy, to showcase his skills.

It was great talking to him, and he provided me with a ton of help in an article I will be writing for my Feature-Writing class (and, chances are, I will post that article once I have it done at the end of the semester…so keep your eyes open for that!)

Here is Brian holding a copy of Prick magazine, which had his shop featured in the centerfold.

While I was at the shop, I also had a chance to talk with John Lloyd. He says that he recently came to Dayton after apprenticing in Atlanta in the well-known shop of All or Nothing Tattoo, owned by Brandon Bond. But before he got into tattooing at all, John was an art teacher. He says that he loves being a tattoo artist because now he is able to put his work permanently on someone’s body. He, too, has some unique pieces in his portfolio, which can be found at http://www.tattooedtv.com/johnlloyd.html. (Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of John because talking to him was a "spur of the moment" thing, but I am so glad I talked to him and got his perspective of what it is like to work at Truth & Triumph).

Well, I hope you enjoyed hearing a little bit about these tattoo artists. If you liked this, then I can certainly do more posts like it in the future. Let me know what you think by leaving a comment or shooting me an e-mail at
kimberlygarlick@cedarville.edu. Thanks!

1 comment: