Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lindsey's Story
Lindsey and I go way back. I have known her since we were babies, growing up in the same church (the church that both of our families are still at today). Lindsey, her sister, my sister and I would all draw “tattoos” on each other with the markers we found in our Sunday School classrooms when we were kids. Despite this early fascination with body art, Lindsey says she never thought she would actually get a tattoo.

Well, fast-forward to today: she has two.




Lindsey got her first tattoo when she was 17. It is of the words “four twenty-two” on her left foot. She got this because, to her, it shows how close she and her mom are: her mom’s birthday is April 22 and Lindsey was born at 4:22 p.m. (though not on her mom’s birthday).



Likewise, Lindsey’s second tattoo is one that represents another family member she is very close to—her older sister, Sara. Sara is in the United States Navy, and Lindsey had the opportunity to visit Sara while she was stationed in Japan. During Lindsey’s visit, they went out and got matching tattoos on their left hip bones. The tattoo is of cherry blossoms with the branches forming an 18. Lindsey says they got cherry blossoms because they were in Japan, and that the 18 represents the fact that they were born 18 months apart. Lindsey has the symbols for “younger sister,” while Sara’s stand for “older sister.”



For Lindsey, the beauty of tattoos is not skin deep.

“I love the stories behind them…They can be so personal.”

And like almost all the people I have talked to about tattoos, Lindsey admits that tattoos are addicting. She says she has future plans to get one on her ribs for her brother who is in the Army. Though she is not sure of what the design will be, she is set on getting something.

When it comes to the idea that tattoos are addicting, Lindsey doesn’t see that as a problem.

“If you don’t go overboard, you can still have them and look classy… I honestly think that if Audrey Hepburn were young now she would have one; I really think she would.”

Though she says a person can still look classy with tattoos, she would also warn people to respect themselves and others in getting them.

“I still think you need to have respect for yourself and your employers…People look at you, and they do read books by their covers.”

Thanks for reading these stories behind the ink. If you have a tattoo that you would like me to write a post about, I would love to. Just leave me a comment or e-mail me at kimberlygarlick@cedarville.edu. Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment